OBITUARY--REV. B.F. BROWN
reprinted from the Cemetery Records of DeSoto Parish, LA.
Rev. B.F. Brown died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Mollie Brown, in Mansfield, La. July 3, 1929. Funeral services were held the following day. Interment was in the Wallace Cemetery and services were in charge of the Revs. T. J. Lites, A.G. Kidd, E. E. Dees and L. F. Gill.
Deceased was born Aug. 27, 1842 in Simpson County , Miss. , joined the Baptist church Aug. 10, 1856, at Cato, Miss. , Rankin County, at the age of 14; preached his first sermon at Cato on August 10, 1875. Was ordained as a minister Sept 5, 1875 at Coulee Crouche, St. Landry Parish, La. The ordaining, council was composed of James Duff, pastor; Adolph Stagg, French missionary and R.W. Blakewood. He moved to Sabine parish in 1875, his first pastorate being Sardis church, which he held for two years. Since then he has been an active and faithful minister of the gospel for many years. He has received and baptized nearly fifteen hundred persons, celebrated seventy marriages, (6O white and 10 colored). He retired from the active ministry about ten or twelve years ago.
He was a veteran of the Confederate army. He was married to Miss Caroline Miller July 1, 1867, who preceeded him in death ten ears and, one day. He leaves seven children, 35 grandchildren and 33 great—grandchildren to mourn his going. The children are as follows: Mrs. Mollie Brown and Mrs. W. H. Ruffin of Mansfield, Mrs. P.E. Powell of Ajax ; Mr. W. A. Brown of Winfield; Mr. Frank Brown of DeRidder, Mr. P. C. Brown of Eagle Lake, Texas and Mrs. Lizzie Wise of Pineland, Texas.
Rev. B.F. Brown is buried in the Wallace Cemetery.
note-- Rev. B.F. Brown: was the, first pastor of the Wallace Baptist Church organized in 1876. Phillip Brown and wife Allice came to Wallace at the same time and were charter members. of the church. Phillip served at the first church clerk. Mrs. Phillip Brown is the first one to be buried in the Wallace cemetery according to the records in 1881. The Phillip Browns gave the first portion of land for the Wallace Cemetery. Upon the death of Phillip. in 1884 the Brown property was sold to the Barron family who gave another portion of the cemetery.
B. F. and, Phillip were sons of William F. and Evalina ,Norwood Brown of Cato, Miss. ( Rankin County )
William F was the son of Sam and Polly Powell Brown of Georgia .
Evalina Brown was the daughter of John Norwood Jr. and Catherine Powell of South Carolina.,