Captain Isaac Conroe of Conroe first came to his inheritance of the sunshine
and shadow of life in Long Branch, N. J. ? February 1834, and after a brief
but severe illness the Recording Angel wrote finis at the end of his loyal
service to the Master on Monday, August 2, 1897 at 3:30 p.m. At the end of
four years service in the United States Army he cast his lot in Texas
settling first at Lynchburg, later at Houston, where he is so well known and
esteemed; and nineteen years ago, where to the pine woods the sound of the
locomotive was strange, but where now flourishes the brave little town that
bears his name and of which a month since he was appointed postmaster.
Always large-hearted, and public spirited there is not a church, school or
enterprise of any kind there that has not received his substantial aid and
encouragement. Living ever for the betterment of the race he has indeed been
“househand” to the town as well as his home circle. The world is better for
his having lived in it and his “foot-prints in the sands of time” may well
encourage those whom he has left behind to live up to the very highest
standard of the human race. Life was not all success, but time and space
will not admit the record of how bravely difficulties were met and overcome,
nor the firmness and courage with which life’s battles were fought. Every
business house in Conroe closed its doors in respect to his memory and the
entire population at this sawmill, some 200, followed the loved form as far
as the train. No one person throughout Montgomery County could be more
universally mourned. He was laid to rest in Glenwood beside his loved wife,
who preceded him a year ago. A son, Mr.
Munger Conroe, two daughters,
and Miss Effie Conroe, and a granddaughter, little Marguerite Hart, mourn a
father ever just, wise and loving.
dear Lord, among the angels, For our noble, precious friend; Room beside the
long lamented, ‘Mid the bliss that knows no end.”
—E. B. Crawford.