Buildings of Montgomery County Texas
Take A Walking Tour of Historic Downtown Conroe
Photo: Gustavo Huerta, Houston Chronicle / Staff Photographer
Conroe State Bank building recently
got a facelift
from new owner attorney
Tay Bond. The historic location
is on a
Walking Tour of the downtown
of Banks Griffith and Son
circa 1913 in downtown Conroe. The
building, which now houses the law firm of
E. Tay Bond, is
believed to be the oldest commercial building still in use in the
Old First State Bank of Conroe
Conroe's First City Hall
Photo: Michael Minasi, Staff
The Isaac Conroe house, originally built in 1885 and recently bought
and undergoing renovations by Carl and Lyn Howard, is pictured on
Friday, Jan. 5, 2017
Photo: Michael Minasi, Staff Photographer
A picture of the original Isaac
Conroe house built in 1885. Notice the buggy step in front of the
home. The home is located at 202 Ave. A, in Conroe.
Photo: Jason Fochtman, Staff Photographer
CARTER HOUSE / STEWART LAW OFFICE
402 West Phillips
Montgomery County officials are hoping a community member will
relocate a historic house located at 402 West Phillips Street as
seen Feb. 7. The residential home was built in the 1920s and
purchased by Robin and Hattie Cater, who owned Carter Drug Store in
downtown Conroe. It was later the Stewart and Stewart Law Office
from 1976 to 2013 before being purchased by the county in June 2016.
County officials are planning to use the property to benefit the
Montgomery County Tax Office, but no formal action has taken place
to decide the
Photo Courtesy of
the Montgomery County Historical Commission
Carter Drug store is pictured at Main and Davis Street in downtown
Conroe. Its owners Robin and Hattie Carter lived nearby in a home at
402 West Phillips
of Sue Ann Cargill Powell
home at the corner of N. Thomason and Martin Luther King Blvd in
Willis. It was purchased in 2015 by the First United Methodist
Church in Willis, which is across the street. Discussions are still
underway as to what to do with the home. it was constructed in the
Building, a historical building built in the 1920s in downtown
Willis, is pictured on Friday, Jan. 8, 2016, at the southwest corner
of Texas 75 and FM 1097.
The Moran Gas
Building at 75 and 1075 in Willis was built by Charles Johnson.
Johnson built his service station and grocery store in 1923 for a
cost of $17 ($11 for bricks and $6 for labor.
Photo / Frank Johnson
The Arnold-Simonton House is the only structure in Montgomery County
that is on the National Registry of Historic Places. It was built in
1845 by Dr. E. J. Arnold, a prominent Montgomery citizen. After
serving as Montgomery City Hall for a time in the late 1900s, it was
moved to Fernland Historical Park where it now resides with other
historic structures and serves as a museum.
The Addison-Gandy House at 104 Prairie Street in
Montgomery. The home was built in 1892 for John Britton Addison and his
wife, Martha Bowe Davis Addison.
Courtesy Photo /
The Arnold-Simonton home was recorded as a Texas Historic Landmark
in 1964 and entered in the National Register of Historic Places in
The Addison-Gandy House in 1899
Bay Evans home
at 118 W. Pauline Street was built in 1934 for William Arthur “Bay”
Evans and his wife, Garnet. The building has been used as a bed &
breakfast, an Italian restaurant and a boutique store. It currently
houses the Hopkins Law Firm.
The N. H. Davis Law Office pictured from the side, circa 1870. T. J.
Rucks, left in the door way, and Willis Davis, right in the window, are
Courtesy Photo from Montgomery County
The Davis Law Office
prior to its renovation by the
Montgomery Historical Society.
The Davis Law Office and Davis
Cottage circa 1986 in
The Oaks, residence of Nathaniel Hart
Davis on 202 Prairie in Montgomery
Wackers Five &
Conroe Furniture in 1979
Staff Photo Jason Fochtman
Dan's Barber Shop -
426 N Main St.
Wackers Five & Dime ca 1945
Conroe Furniture - 2014
Thomas Chapel United Methodist Church in
Willis is one of the oldest Afro-American churches in
Montgomery County—founded by freed slaves soon after the
Civil War will be celebrating its 146th Anniversary August
18, 2013 at 512 Martin Luther King Blvd. in Willis.
Montgomery County Jail in
Joe Corley Detention Facility Opened August 1, 2008
& Johnson Funeral Home 612 Avenue E
First J Wahrenberger Store before the Fire
Postcard of First Methodist Church
The First Methodist Church as torn
down in 2002 and the new annex to the courthouse is now located on its site.
The new First Methodist Church is now located on Highway 105 West. The
following photos were taken by
Jean Smoorenburg just before they began
demolition of the church in 2002.
First Methodist Church
First Methodist Church
First Methodist Church
First Methodist Church
First Methodist Church
First Presbyterian Church ca 1955
First Presbyterian Church
Picnic at CC Harbin Store in Dobbin Texas
house in Willis owned by Wooldridge
William H. Wood house ca
1850 – son of Dr. John Wood
Subject: photos - buildings
WILLIAM HILLMAN WOOD was married to
ELIZABETH ANN IRVINE, b.
16 Oct 1825 in KY, m. 12 Apr 1846 in TX and d. 1909. Elizabeth Ann was
daughter of Benjamin Fielding Irvine and Mary "Polly" Belles, early settlers
of Danville, Montgomery Co., TX from Kentucky. She was a sister of my ggg gf, Peter Belles Irvine. The Irvine family arrived in Montgomery Co.
1837 - 1839 and had land along the area of West Danville Rd. This would have
been their home after they married and I find them on the 1850 census, but I
am not sure exactly where this would have been. I'll check for deeds at the
courthouse and maybe can determine the location of this home in 1850.
Grogan-Cochran Home, where the
Heritage Museum of Montgomery County is
now located, was originally built by J. G. Grogan and was located in
downtown Conroe. He and his family moved into it in 1924. A year later
Mrs. Grogan died and Mr. Grogan sold the house to his sister and her
husband, Terrell Cochran.
Four generations of Cochran’s occupied the home until the last
descendant/owner, Carolyn Walker and husband Andy, donated it to be used
as Museum. The home was moved to the Candy Cane Park in Conroe in 1987 to
create the Heritage Museum of Montgomery County.
These two families owned and operated 25 sawmills for over the years.
Their first to open in Montgomery County was in 1917, where The Woodlands
is located today.
Downtown Conroe During Black Gold Rush
The building is gone but Pegasus is alive and
well in its new home at the
Montgomery County Courthouse Today
Built in 1936 & Remodeled in 1965
Willis Hotel 1097 Mont St ca 1900
Brownlee Jewelry and Downtown Parade
108 Simonton ca 1980
Former Location of
at 108 Simonton in 2011
The old Corner Drug Store (Collier
Building) is found in the background as a white corner building with
a second-floor balcony. Old Conroe on the east side of the tracks
can be seen in the top of this photo taken from the top of the old
Courthouse. This photo was taken prior to the big fire that
destroyed much of downtown in February 1911
J. L. Hicks Building Next to
Former Location of Talley's Domino
Collier & Harris Building ca 1911
The wooden Corner Drug
Store was consumed by the large fire
that destroyed downtown Conroe in February 1911. The new Collier &
Harris Building was constructed on the site in brick in 1911 to
comply with the new city downtown construction ordinance.
Collins & Harris Building at
Pacific & Simonton streets in 2012 after restoration. It houses the
law firm of Price and Price.
This photo of the Laura Grogan Cochran House shows the screened in
front porch about the time Fred Cochran Sr. moved into Laura Grogan
Cochran’s home (his mother). The house was built for Nancy Lewis
Grogan, widow to Richard Grogan, in about 1918 soon after the Grogan
Cochran Lumber Company was established near Conroe. Today it is used
for the Villa Italia restaurant at the corner of Thompson and
Cochran streets. When the house was built, it was on the edge of
Conroe, so the story goes that the street was called Cochran. Photo
courtesy of Larry Forester.
Cochran House Delicious Link to Past
Carter Drug and Capital Drug Store 1940's
The State Hotel was constructed in 1932 when Conroe
was a “boom town” because of a major oil find.
Etheridge Building in 2006 before the brick facade had been restored
by the City of Conroe
in 2006 originally known as
"Little Jack West Building"
Shepard's Barbershop on Simonton in November 2011
Madeley Building 2006
Conroe Art League
in 1938, the Wahrenberger Funeral Home
was the first structure in Conroe at 105 West Phillips
specifically designed as a funeral home. It now (2013)
is occupied by the legal firm of Linebarger, Goggan,
Blair & Sampson
The building at 428 North Main Street
was the first
structure used as a commercial funeral facility in the
Conroe Ice Company 1934 from Heritage
Sparkle Ice House at 101 Metcalfe
Street in the 1940's
Became Owen Theatre in 2008,
aka Weisinger Pontiac/GMC Dealership,
White's Auto 1976, and Elections Central
located at 225 Metcalfe, Conroe
502 North Frazier, Conroe, was
formerly Weisinger-Buckalew Dealership in 1975 was a Western Auto
and now in 2013 a Tire & Collision Shop.
Judge Williams House at 709 San Jacinto Street in Conroe circa 1920.
Judge Williams house at 709 San Jacinto Street in Conroe was
constructed in 1904. At the time, building a stately residence in a
wooded area three blocks from the center of downtown Conroe was
considered odd because it was so far from all the community had to
offer. Born in 1863, Williams was a highly successful lawyer in
Montgomery County. The home has been a restaurant and several law
offices. Today the Jim Knez Law Office is housed there.
Conroe Federal Savings & Loan Association in November 1961. The
facility was a great source of pride for the downtown Conroe area.
In 1996, the property was purchased by Woodforest Bank and renovated
to serve as a downtown Conroe branch for the bank.
The Woodforest National Bank and the Law Offices of Bill Adair in
present downtown Conroe located at the corner of San Jacinto and
Davis Street. The buildings were formerly the Conroe Federal Savings
& Loan Association that was established in the 1960s. (Staff photo
by Ana Ramirez)
located at the corner of Simonton and San Jacinto streets in
downtown Conroe, was created around 1951
now (2013) known as LAWVEST Professional Building – short for lawyer
investment – is owned by Micky Deison and associates. It houses
offices for a lawyer, a dentist, a professional firefighters group
and other professional organizations.
Conroe Normal & Industrial College
on 10th Street
Residence of Thomas S.
Falvey – 505 Main St.
Birch Hotel on the corner of
Phillips & Thompson in downtown Conroe
Falvey-Holland Building on West
J C Penny on first floor
Building - 1940
Foster Building when
Southwestern Furniture was
doing business in the spot
in December 1965.
Building and Quinn Drug Store as the space looks today
(2014) along West Davis Street across from the Montgomery County