About Us
Calendar  
County Mail List
Historical Markers

Family Websites

Genealogy Dept at County Library

Local Societies

Lookups
Miscellaneous
Montgomery County Records  & Resources
Neighboring Counties

Queries

Research Links
The Handbook of Texas Online
TX Family Group Sheets
TXGenWeb Counties
TXGenWeb Project
WorldGenWeb


Some Files require
  Adobe Reader

Schools in Montgomery County Texas


There are way too many schools in the county to mention, but below are some of the earliest schools in the county.  As time permits, I will try and get more information on some of these schools.

History of CISD from Wikipedia

In 1886 the Conroe Public School’s first classes were opened in a one-room school constructed of rough lumber near the present community of Beach. It was called Conroe Mill School and was open each year for a five-month term. The first African American school was located in Central Baptist Church at Medeley Quarters. The Conroe Independent School District was created by the Commissioners Court of Montgomery County, Texas, July 12, 1892, by consolidating the twelve Common School Districts surrounding Conroe. This area covered 25 square miles (65 km2). The 39th Legislature of the State of Texas in 1925 mandated the enlargement of the District by keeping intact the already defined 25 square miles (65 km2) and adding numerous other surrounding school areas bringing the district to 333 square miles (860 km2). On June 22, 1992, the annexation of 7,781 acres (31 km2) of Magnolia Independent School District increased Conroe ISD to the current size of 348.09 square miles (902 km2).

Prior to the 1925 consolidation, few rural children were able to attend high school. The first graduating class of Conroe High School, one male and three females, received their diplomas in 1902. The number of CISD graduates for the 2008-2009 school year was over 3,000 students from six high schools. In 2010, the school district was rated exemplary (see www.conroeisd.net/pdf/reportcard/current/129.pdf)

 
Bear Bend located one mile east of present Montgomery. This was established in 1839.

Bedrock School in the city of Willis on the southwest corner of what is now Danville and Mink Street. This was a free public school, one room taught in the fall of 1896 by a Miss Pearl Sandel and in the spring of 1897 by a Mr. Will Anderson.

Blackshear Elementary School was one of the two schools that served the black students in grades 1-7 during the early 40's. It was located 8 miles west on Old Montgomery Road in Leonidas. Ms. Cecil Hogue and Ms. Carrie B. Felder were the teachers. This school was dissolved in 1949 and the students attended Booker T. Washington.



E L Blackshear School
Conroe Independent School District

Bobbin was used until 1927 then the students attended school in Dobbin.

Booker T. Washington High School

Mittie J. Campbell School was a black high school and elementary school that burned in 1933 and a new school was built and named Booker T. Washington.

Center Hill School east of Willis.

Cryar Intermediate 2004 named after Harold Cryar

Community Elementary*** now known as Stephen F. Austin in Cut n' Shoot.

Conroe Elementary School *** now known as Sam Houston Elementary.

Conroe Independent School District*** was formed in 1892.

Conroe High School (formerly known as David Crockett)

Conroe Mill School built in 1886 was located near the present community of Beach. It was constructed of rough lumber and furnished with homemade desks. This was the first one-room Conroe Public School. This school was open each year for a five month term.

Conroe Normal and Industrial College (See Lucille Bradley, Retired CISD Teacher)

Conroe Primary School*** now known as William B. Travis

Copeland's Chapel (burned)

Danville north of Willis.

David Crockett*** now known as Conroe High School.

Dobbin

Dry Creek consolidated in 1927-1928 term with Union Grove.

English and Classical School located near Montgomery. In February 1842, an ad ran in in the Galveston Daily Advertiser with Rev. P. H. Fullenwider locating in the Landrum's neighborhood three miles west of Montgomery.

Fostoria

John Doughtie School located west of Willis

John V. Peet Junior High School

Harmony School in 1913 in the Montgomery Area



Photo courtesy of Peggy Parsley Paddock


The photo above is of students at the Harmony School in 1913 in the Montgomery area. The photo is from the family collection of Mamie Parsley Longmire and contributed by her niece Peggy Parsley Paddock. First row, left to right: Ollis Walkingshaw, Irvin Jeffery, Alice McPherson, Morgan Cartwright, Hubert Weisinger, Laura McPherson, Mary Sue Weisinger, Louie Weisinger, Erma Weisinger and the teacher Mrs. Raper. Second row: Ruth Weisinger and Mamie Lois Parsley; Third row: Percy Walkingshaw and Sercy Walkingshaw (twins); John D. Weisinger, Fred Weeks; Jessie Gibbs and Virgil Weisinger; Fourth row: Maud McPherson, Leslie Weeks, Maud Weeks, Evander Musgrove, Irvin Weisinger, Ellis Walkingshaw, Lela Cheatham and Raymond Weisinger; Fifth row: Whitley Musgrove, J.M. Weisinger, Wayland Musgrove, Melvin Weisinger, Floyd Parsley, Samuel Hoke and Willie Gibbs.

Kidd closed in 1925.

Liberty 1927-1928 term students were transported to Community School.

Liberty School east of Willis beyond the 4 miles crossroads near Seven Mile Caney.

Lone Oak School located in the Weir Creek area of Willis.

Lost Prairie School was a one room school was built in the late 1890's and was used for both school and church. It was located about 5 miles west of Splendora off of FM2090. Some of the children that attended were the Collins, Bradfords, Haydens, Houghs, Mizells, Partain, Vick Martin and Cater. Some of the teachers that taught there were Albert Sallee, Proessor Clarke, Bertha Clarke Gilmore, Katie Clarke, Dixon Bazzoon, Claudia Reeves, ad Alvie Partain. In the later 1920's, Lost Prairie school was consolidated with Splendora School. (Deborah Stuart)

Magnolia first school was in the Grange Building at Mink. It was later built on the present site of the Flemming home. After burning, it was rebuilt and later used when the new school was built in 1937.

Montgomery Academy of Montgomery County located in Montgomery.

McRae School. 1880-1925 after closing the students went to Liberty School. Located 15 miles east of Conroe just off FM 1484 (Airport road) and Williams Road.

Patterson Elementary located on Beach Road

Rayford

Sam Ashe School 1934-1935 also known as Albert Sidney Johnson was located on Highway 75 South about one mile south of Pitchford Center and now the freeway goes through where the school once sat. The children were bussed to Sam Houston Elementary.

Security School House

Spring Hill School east of Willis.

Stewart Elementary located in Woodforest.

Sweet Home (dilapidated) located in Leonidas.

Tamina closed during the late 1940's and the students were bussed to Conroe.

Turkey Creek School located between Peach Creek and Turkey Creek in Teddy, TX about 9 miles east of Willis on the Willis-Coldspring Road (now FM1097). The one room school was an unpainted square wooden building with glass windows approximately 30 X 60 and was set on wooden blocks. Two of the teachers were Rudolph Britt and Will Anderson. School began in October and lasted for six months.

Union Grove 1928***was a modern 4 room wooden school was built for $64,000 and is now known as Ben Milam located in Grangerland.

Vick consolidated in 1927-1928 term with Union Grove.

Waukegan closed with the 1928-1929 term and children attended Conroe Elementary.  Located south of the main part of town.

Wheatley Elementary School located in Tamina was one of the two schools that served the black students in grades 1 - 7 during the early 1940's. Ms. Callie L. Cavil and Ms. Angelino McPherson were the teachers. This school was dissolved in 1949 and the students attended Booker T. Washington.

White Oak School west of Willis.

Willis Male and Female College was founded in 1888 and was located in the north part of Willis on the same corner of which one of the campuses is now located on Thomason Street.

William B. Travis located in Conroe was once the high school but after new high school was built it was the junior high.


 
William B Travis

 

***= Still in existence

For more schools, see Conroe ISD,



|
Home | Top of Page |

 

               Vote Montgomery County TXGenWeb County of the Month 

Montgomery County Texas Banner graphics were designed by and remain the property of Jean Huot Smoorenburg. If you are being charged to view/use any of this information or have questions or comments, please contact Jane Keppler.

 

Copyright © 1997 - 2016 by Jane Keppler. This information may be used by individuals for their own personal use, libraries and genealogical societies. Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior written permission from Jane Keppler. If material is copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information and please email me and let me know. Neither the Site Coordinators nor the volunteers assume any responsibility for the information or material given by the contributors or for errors of fact or judgment in material that is published at this website.
 

Page Modified: 18 October 2016